latest member photos

Welcome to the RV White Water Retro Travel Trailer Enthusiast Forums!

A website dedicated to all things Riverside RV Retro, tips, tricks mods and more. We have many features on this website to make your experience here more enjoyable.

Join in and contribute your ideas and questions! FYI: You must register and login to post replies or start new topics.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
My Riverside RV White Water Retro 181B Out In The Wild.
No permission to create posts
July 4, 2016
6:34 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin
Forum Posts: 178
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I took my family camping this weekend onto our East Zion property here in Southern Utah. I own a 2015 White Water Retro 181B black on white. It was little hot but luckily we had our little generator working great so we stayed nice and cool with the A/C until it cooled off. Overall it was a great weekend adventure. 

Riverside RV White Water Retro 181BImage Enlarger

July 7, 2016
5:30 am
DAVID555
Members
Forum Posts: 18

Great pics.  “Property in East Zion”???  Wow…I’m guessing that is near Zion NP?   One of the the more amazing places I have ever been to. 

July 7, 2016
8:37 am
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

Yes this is about 10 miles outside of Zion.  Zion really is one of the greatest places on earth! It’s a been crazy up there in the summer time with the amount of people so I don’t go up that way as much as I would want to. 

July 7, 2016
8:41 pm
DAVID555
Members
Forum Posts: 18

We went in November of 2015 after they had shut down the shuttles.  It was the perfect time to go.  No crowds, still had some pretty good fall colors, even snowed a little one day.  Was in the 20’s at night, so a little cold, but the heater worked great. 

July 23, 2016
4:44 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

Thats the secret is you have to hit Zion on the off season. They are expected to have 4 million people up there this year which a million more people then last year.  Unfortunately I ran into some some problems with my Retro. I guess it was never aligned right from the factory so it ate through a tire with only about 400 miles on it. Luckily Riverside RV is willing to fix the problem, but I’m not sure how long it will take to put new tires on and get alignment so no more trips tell this is all figured out. 

August 1, 2016
8:02 am
Gees
Members
Forum Posts: 2

I am interested in purchasing the 181b. It looks like you have had a couple of trips with this trailer. I would love a review. What are your likes/dislikes. How many people are in the trailer for a typical trip? What are your sleeping arrangements? What are you pulling this trailer with? Can you give me a general on the price you paid? Did you consider, or own, any other trailers before you bought this one? We have been looking for a travel trailer for a while and this one fits the bill for both style and function for our family of three. 

August 1, 2016
8:19 am
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

Gees said
I am interested in purchasing the 181b. It looks like you have had a couple of trips with this trailer. I would love a review. What are your likes/dislikes. How many people are in the trailer for a typical trip? What are your sleeping arrangements? What are you pulling this trailer with? Can you give me a general on the price you paid? Did you consider, or own, any other trailers before you bought this one? We have been looking for a travel trailer for a while and this one fits the bill for both style and function for our family of three.   

Welcome to the forums!

To answer some of your questions

• Its small I can tow it with our Nissan Pathfinder.
  • Its small I can easily back it into place’s.
  • Its Retro Looking!!
  • The 6 person table doubles as a queen bed making the trailer feel a lot bigger then it is. 
  • The A/C can run off 2000 watt generator.
  • The stove has a glass top on it giving us more counter space.

Dislikes 

• Not a lot of storage for cloths with my setup. We have the large fridge and freezer in our trailer. The other option gives you a half size fridge and freezer but also gives you a huge closet. 
  • Wish there was more overhead storage.
  • Feels like the bathroom could be smaller and is waste of space. (on the other hand we do use this for storage)
  • Ours didn’t come with a radio.

We have 4 people two kids and two adults. My two kids each sleep on the bunks and me and my wife who sleep on the fold down table/bed. We paid $15,000 for ours it was about $16300 out the door with taxes and title.  The dealer sold this as a 2015 model at a discounted price but really it was a 2016 once we got the title. Before this trailer we had a 26″ foot layton with a slide out. We hated it! It was too large for us and made it feel like we were sleeping in a small apartment not out camping.  The retro fits the bill  perfectly it still provides everything our larger trailer does but just a little more compact and honestly its more practical.  It sounds weird downsizing but it was the best move we made. I no longer feel like its a hassle to get the trailer up and going to spend the weekend somewhere.  

I hope that helps. 

August 1, 2016
10:00 am
Gees
Members
Forum Posts: 2

This is perfect. We have been looking for something locally available like the 181 for a while and have come up short in the recent past. Our other options end up being too heavy for us to comfortably pull, or are not aesthetically pleasing (I would like something that looks and feels like a camper, not the interior of my home). We haven’t had much luck being able to see the bunk versions of campers at dealers because we live in an area that caters more towards retirees. Your response is beyond helpful. Thank you for your honesty. 

August 4, 2016
5:12 pm
lowen34
Members
Forum Posts: 4

Kristopher said

Welcome to the forums!

To answer some of your questions

• Its small I can tow it with our Nissan Pathfinder.
  • Its small I can easily back it into place’s.
  • Its Retro Looking!!
  • The 6 person table doubles as a queen bed making the trailer feel a lot bigger then it is. 
  • The A/C can run off 2000 watt generator.
  • The stove has a glass top on it giving us more counter space.

Dislikes 

• Not a lot of storage for cloths with my setup. We have the large fridge and freezer in our trailer. The other option gives you a half size fridge and freezer but also gives you a huge closet. 
  • Wish there was more overhead storage.
  • Feels like the bathroom could be smaller and is waste of space. (on the other hand we do use this for storage)
  • Ours didn’t come with a radio.

We have 4 people two kids and two adults. My two kids each sleep on the bunks and me and my wife who sleep on the fold down table/bed. We paid $15,000 for ours it was about $16300 out the door with taxes and title.  The dealer sold this as a 2015 model at a discounted price but really it was a 2016 once we got the title. Before this trailer we had a 26″ foot layton with a slide out. We hated it! It was too large for us and made it feel like we were sleeping in a small apartment not out camping.  The retro fits the bill  perfectly it still provides everything our larger trailer does but just a little more compact and honestly its more practical.  It sounds weird downsizing but it was the best move we made. I no longer feel like its a hassle to get the trailer up and going to spend the weekend somewhere.  

I hope that helps.   

Gees said

We bought the 177SE last October. We had a 22′ double axle trailer that my husband was not happy towing with his Toyota Tundra. Traded it in and never looked back. Absolutely love this trailer and feel we have not lost anything by downsizing except the extra weight 🙂

We have just the two of us retired people and our dog that travel. One rainy afternoon though we had our 3 grandkids inside for the day. Plenty of room. The small dinette converts to a single bed if we have a guest (grandkid) and we have a very comfortable walk around queen bed. We get lots of attention going down the road and when we pull in anywhere.

October 9, 2016
9:34 pm
retro_dan
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Kristopher said
I took my family camping this weekend onto our East Zion property here in Southern Utah. I own a 2015 White Water Retro 181B black on white. It was little hot but luckily we had our little generator working great so we stayed nice and cool with the A/C until it cooled off. Overall it was a great weekend adventure. 

Thank you for sharing these wonder images of your Riverside Retro. 

October 10, 2016
7:25 am
Roccosamore
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 119

We just returned from your neck of the woods. Stayed in Torrey, Utah for a couple days and then down to Glendale, Utah for 4 days.

I think that the extra million people were there during our stay!! Springdale was really crowded. I think a return trip in the off season will be on our trip planner for next time. We still had fun. Did a Slot Canyon tour. What a great adventure. Ran into a Diamondback rattlesnake in the canyon! 

We were going to tow home through Zion, but after our visit and seeing the traffic decided to leave on Highway 14 (?) ,  the road to Cedar Breaks and over to Nevada. Really enjoyed the German bakery in Orderville. So. Utah is hard to beat for beauty.

October 15, 2016
8:21 am
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

Roccosamore said
We just returned from your neck of the woods. Stayed in Torrey, Utah for a couple days and then down to Glendale, Utah for 4 days.

I think that the extra million people were there during our stay!! Springdale was really crowded. I think a return trip in the off season will be on our trip planner for next time. We still had fun. Did a Slot Canyon tour. What a great adventure. Ran into a Diamondback rattlesnake in the canyon! 

We were going to tow home through Zion, but after our visit and seeing the traffic decided to leave on Highway 14 (?) ,  the road to Cedar Breaks and over to Nevada. Really enjoyed the German bakery in Orderville. So. Utah is hard to beat for beauty.  

Roccosamore,

Sounds like a awesome trip! Yes come back in the off season. We are actually here up next to Zion’s staying at the Zion River RV Resort, I attended RedBull Rampage.  This little resort is awesome for campers! Swimming Pool, Dog Friendly. Lots of fully grown tree’s that provide shade, grass in the pull through stations and friendly staff. 

January 31, 2017
8:52 pm
mamahawk
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Hello! We are seriously considering our first trailer for our family of four, and from all of our research, the 181B looks perfect. Seems like you’ve had this one for a couple of years, and I’m wondering if you have had any issues with it. A few more questions for anyone who has a moment to answer!

– What is a good starter book or resource for someone who has never owned a trailer? I consider us completely clueless when it comes to packing and taking a trip with a trailer (we are used to tent camping, and the propane, water tanks, and filling and dumping are completely foreign to us).   

– Where do you store your trailer? How much does that cost? Does it need to be covered in winter?

– How often do you use it?

Thank you for any and all insights you can provide! 

February 1, 2017
8:28 am
Roccosamore
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 119

First of all, welcome to the forum!

We keep our Retro in the driveway. Depending on your geographic location will determine storage possibilities, (ie: cover, what type of winterization, ect..) There is some info on your questions contained within this forum. I will defer to Kristopher on the model as we own a 177se.

We traveled a total of 10 states, 7 weeks, 8500 miles last year. 2017 season is in the planning stage as I write. Not sure of our route yet, but I know Mt. Rushmore will be included, as well as a trip to Southern Arizona near Yuma to go to the dentist in Mexico.

Again, lots of good info contained in the forum.

Good luck!

Rocco

February 1, 2017
7:27 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

Mamahawk,

We have had a couple issues, when we bought it had a axle problem and was causing the tire to wear funny. That was fixed under warranty. Couple other minor issues with the screws on our table getting pulled out from the floor board that was also fixed for free. Other then that it has been working fine. It fits our family of four we have two adults and two small children.

– We store our trailer in our driveway right now its uncovered I will probably buy a cover next year. I do live in the desert and we don’t get bad winters. You will need to winterize it for the winter time so the pipes don’t freeze.

– We have only used our trailer 6 times so far but we have only owned it for 8 months and part of this time it was in the shop getting fixed.

There is a learning curb to trailer camping, its best to do a test run by a place that is close by so you can figure out all the stuff you will need and is easy to get incase you don’t have it. 

March 3, 2017
9:05 am
A.J.
Members
Forum Posts: 67

We are looking at the 181B as well.  This travel trailer has become almost like an affliction for me and my kids.  We have been looking at various travel trailers for the better part of the last year.  Since finding the 181B when my wife stated that she “likes the retro look” we have been hooked on it.  

We are  a family of 5, which I know leaves us a bed short, but we also have a daughter that loves snuggling with us and her brothers still.  My boys also love to tent camp so I wouldn’t be opposed to having them outside if the weather is halfway decent.  We also plan to get creative with a small cot that we have if it becomes impossible to share beds.  

In the end, we want something that allows us to be together (or have friends in) if the weather is bad.  We feel the functionality of the u shaped dinette meets our needs by being a dual purpose space.

A.J.

March 4, 2017
8:25 am
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin

A.J.,

I think the 181 B might work for your needs it just depends on how old your children are. My Kids are 7 and 4 and they there is plenty of room on the beds actually they both prefer to share the bottom bunk together.  The dinette table is large enough to fit 2 adults and a kid as well.  We really do enjoy our Retro and have a lot of trips planned this year with it. 

March 31, 2017
11:50 am
A.J.
Members

Kristopher,

What type of generator do you use?  I just reread thorough this thread and noticed you mentioned running a genny.  I don’t know that we will get one this year but I can see it being something we may look into.  I have seen some wide variety out there with regard to price points.

Most of our trips this summer will be “up north”.  We have trips planned to the Adirondacks, Berkshires, and White Mountain National Forest, as well as the Jersey shore (my wives family rented a house, and we are going to stay in the trailer next to the house).  Some of the sites we will stay this Summer have electric but some do not.  I guess we will see how bad we want A/C once we get into the dog days.

April 1, 2017
7:49 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin
April 2, 2017
4:54 am
A.J.
Members

Thanks man.  I found it after I made the previous post and actually remembered reading it already.  I’m losing it. Great post though.  I found it very informative.

Thanks,

A.J.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 57

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

A.J.: 67

Alabama Jim: 54

thatchick1120: 18

Perrypridgen: 18

DAVID555: 18

markstevens: 18

amber_bowers: 17

Groucho: 16

Captn Sharpie: 15

Libacon: 14

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 643

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 24

Topics: 252

Newest Members:

nshep82, BILLSTJOHN, Leahbrob, clestes1, T.Estes, esullivan1953, justus2, Janineretro195, Ritags, BenGlen-NH

Moderators: Roccosamore: 119

Administrators: Kristopher: 178