latest member photos

Welcome to the RV White Water Retro Travel Trailer Enthusiast Forums!

A website dedicated to all things Riverside RV Retro, tips, tricks mods and more. We have many features on this website to make your experience here more enjoyable.

Join in and contribute your ideas and questions! FYI: You must register and login to post replies or start new topics.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Generator Size For 177SE
No permission to create posts
February 10, 2018
4:41 pm
another_mikey
Members
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My wife and I now have a new 2018 177SE, that has only sat in our carport so far (that’s what buying one in the Winter gets you 🙂 ). We are total beginners at RViing, and so are planning to start slowly, with a couple very close by trips.

Eventually though, we obviously hope to go farther and longer. One of the questions then that I wanted to ask the group is about what size of a generator makes sense for this camper. I am looking at either a very small 1000 watt or maybe if required the 2000 watt – certainly do not wish to deal with anything heavier than that though. One of the issues would be where to carry it too, as our tow vehicle is a Honda Pilot, so worried about getting gas fumes in either the car or the camper while traveling from point A to point B. So questions are:

1. What size generator is required to run (and specifically start up) the AC? Is even a 2000 watt unit too small?
  2. I am assuming that other than the A/C, even the smaller 1000 watt unit would be more than adequate for anything else in the camper (including the refrigerator) – is that right?
  3. I know the rear bumper of the camper is basically unable to carry any weight at all without voiding the warranty and risking damage. What type of schemes have folks used to transport even a small generator like this when towing the 177SE? The 2000 watt unit I am looking at is ~45 pounds, while the 1000 watt is closer to 37 pounds.

Thanks bunches for any info,

ML

February 11, 2018
11:06 am
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin
Forum Posts: 178

I have 2000 watt and it runs everything. Here is more info about it.

https://whitewaterretro.com/forum/electricity-and-lighting/best-generator-for-your-riverside-rv-white-water-retro/

I actually carry my generator in my bathroom. I just set it in a cardboard box. 

February 14, 2018
3:59 am
A.J.
Members
Forum Posts: 67

I love the storage/transport idea Kris.  We are looking at maybe getting a Champion 2000 watt inverter for a big cross country road trip to the National Parks out west this summer.  We had a lot of battery drainage issues last summer as we camped in many places without access to shore power.  Our trip this summer is going to be about 6 to 7 weeks.  We do not planned to be hooked up too much as we are staying at several national parks and Harvest Hosts on our way out from Connecticut. 

A.J.

February 14, 2018
11:31 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin
Forum Posts: 178

A.J,

Yeah having the generator has been great, we went camping a couple times and it got pretty hot so it was nice to have the A/C, we can use the microwave etc.. and its piece of mind knowing you can charge your trailer battery.  I’ve actually been toying with the idea of adding a second battery, just for some of the shorter camping trips so I don’t have to bring the generator. Carrying the generator isn’t that bad but you also have to carry fuel with it as well. 

Looks like you have a big year ahead of you! 

February 15, 2018
3:24 am
A.J.
Members

Yes, we are looking forward to the trip.  I will post a thread about the plans as I would love to get the thoughts of everyone. 

A.J.

February 15, 2018
3:31 am
A.J.
Members

Kristopher or others out there,

Do you think your generator, or other 2000w’s, would be able to start the ceiling mount a/c in the 181b?  

A.J.

February 15, 2018
8:24 am
another_mikey
Members
Forum Posts: 4

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like something in the 2000 range is capable enough to get the job done then. 

I have noticed that some of the models have the ability to run the gas out of the engine (while still having gas in the tank) and also have a gas cap with a close-able vent. Seems like that would minimize the gas fumes? And I guess storing it in the bathroom means you have a closed door, and then can run that fan when you get where you are going to clear any fumes out. Seems like a workable solution to me – thanks Kristopher for that idea!

ML 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 57

Currently Online:
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

A.J.: 67

Alabama Jim: 54

markstevens: 18

thatchick1120: 18

Perrypridgen: 18

DAVID555: 18

amber_bowers: 17

Groucho: 16

Captn Sharpie: 15

Libacon: 14

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 651

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 24

Topics: 252

Newest Members:

mfrostrn, suzmelton, Michelle of Roanoke, dixiered33@aol.com, esullivan, ShrutiSane, Thing, jayrocks, nshep82, BILLSTJOHN

Moderators: Roccosamore: 119

Administrators: Kristopher: 178