latest member photos

Welcome to the RV White Water Retro Travel Trailer Enthusiast Forums!

A website dedicated to all things Riverside RV Retro, tips, tricks mods and more. We have many features on this website to make your experience here more enjoyable.

Join in and contribute your ideas and questions! FYI: You must register and login to post replies or start new topics.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Cross Country Road Trip in our 181B
No permission to create posts
February 23, 2018
10:18 am
A.J.
Members
Forum Posts: 67
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I would love to get all of your thoughts and advice on a road trip we are planning for the summer of 2018.  We plan to depart from our home in Connecticut this summer for a cross country/National Parks road trip.  We have a 2017 181B that we brought home in April of 2017 and our tow vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe.  My family (wife, three children sons – 13,11, and daughter -8) will be living out of our trailer for 6 to 7 weeks.

We don’t want to over schedule/commit ourselves so this is where we are at as of today, February 23.  Therefore, we have not made any reservations for “travel days” and all of our national park stays have been reserved mid week (arrive on Tuesday, depart on Friday)

We plan to take 5 or 6 days to get to our first National Park (Rocky Mountain) from Connecticut.

We have made reservations at the following National Parks or national forests/state parks mid week starting the first week of July and running consecutively.

Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado) – Moraine Park

Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona) – Mather

Yosemite -Dimond O (California) (though we are hoping to secure a site in the park once the window opens on March 15)

Glacier National Park – Emery Bay (Montana) Campground in the Flathead National Forest

Yellowstone – Grant Campground (Wyoming)

We then plan to begin heading home with plans to cross the Michigan’s Upper Peninsula before heading to Ottawa and Montreal and then shooting down through Vermont and Massachusetts back into Connecticut 

Outside of getting out and getting back, we will have relatively short travel days between stays at the National Parks (save for the travel between Yosemite and Glacier). 

We will have four days between each of our reservations to explore and check different things out that the West has to offer.  We plan to camp somewhat serendipitously in between as we make our way to each park (Harvest Hosts, State Parks etc..).  

So…

What should we add to our trip (must see spots, locations, hidden gems).  Example:  We may try to fit in Zion or Bryce, or Canyonlands during our four days between Rocky Mountain and Grand Canyon.

Should we get a generator?  We did almost 40 days in 2017, many of which without hookups but this was in the Northeast at higher elevation in the Adirondacks and White Mountains or on the coast. If so, has anyone successfully fired up the a roof mount A/C with a 2000w genie?

Any thoughts on places to see and things to do on the trip out west or the return trip home (We are somewhat flexible on which routes we choose)?

Also, based off things I have read here regarding the stock/Coker tires, we plan on replacing our tires with a more appropriate tire: http://www.widewhitetires.com/…..Tires.html (Learned of this forum!)

What other thoughts or advice can you think of?  I would love to hear your thoughts and learn from any of your experiences out west or just in traveling with a travel trailer, kids, etc.

Also, we are renting our house out through Homeaway and Airbnb and we already have several nights booked!

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

A.J.

February 24, 2018
8:05 am
Roccosamore
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 114

Wow! What a great adventure for your children… Sounds fun. In 2016 ( National Parks 100th year) we did a 6 week, 10 state, 7500 mile trip with our 177se and took in 29 National Parks. About half of that time was in Utah. Sooooooo much to see and do. If at all possible I would suggest Dinosaur NP out of Vernal, Utah. One of our favorites! As for other specifics the list is long but take in what you can. We had an schedule of sorts but that quickly changed. Just wing it and enjoy.

Can’t address your a/c question as we have a wall mount unit and a 1k generator. Works well so I would say a 2k would do you well. Also, my first upgrade was to mount radial tires. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!!! Good luck.

Rocco

February 24, 2018
11:54 am
Roccosamore
Members

Moderators

Also, be sure to get you children the National Parks Passport book. Every park you stop at has a place that has inked stamps to add into their books with name of the park, date you were there, ect. I won’t say how old I am, but I have one and it was one of my favorite things to collect on our trip!!

April 24, 2018
4:00 am
A.J.
Members

Thank you for the responses.  We are currently looking to upgrade our tires.  I would love to keep the whitewalls but I still want the best tire possible.

We will certainly do the passport books.  

Thanks again.

A.J.

May 2, 2018
3:44 am
A.J.
Members

We are going with Goodyear Endurance tires for our 181B.  It was a tough choice as I spent a lot of time investigating the different Whitewall options.  In the end, I just want the piece of mind of having the best trailer tire possible during our cross country trip this Summer.  

Here was our thought process on going with the Endurance.  First, it will be easier to replace should we need to on our trip.  The tire has outstanding reviews.  Finally, it is way cheaper than what I was able to find on the whitewalls.  

In the end, I am bummed that we will be without the whitewalls, but I am thrilled with the piece of mind.

A.J.

May 2, 2018
7:28 am
Roccosamore
Members

Moderators

I went with Greenball Transmaster tires. Bought 4 and 2 extra rims, as I always carry 2 spares when on a long trip. So far they have worn well and am happy with them. 

Good luck on your adventure.

Rocco

May 2, 2018
9:49 pm
Kristopher
Southern Utah
Admin
Forum Posts: 178

I heard the Goodyear Endurance tires are some of the best, and I plan of replacing my white walls with them as well. I already have one as a spare on my trailer just need to buy the 2 more. 

June 5, 2018
8:03 am
JonasAxerwi
Members
Forum Posts: 2

We also traveled with my girlfriend, who I met on the ibrider.com. She’s from Cancun. It’s nice when you travel with a person who knows the area. But A.J.’s journey will be better than ours.

June 12, 2018
12:31 am
backy26
Members
Forum Posts: 6

We have two children 7 and 2 years old. We also want to travel around national parks and reserves. We want to show our children the real nature and how to live with it, appreciate and protect it. Recently watched the trailer at this resource Rental24H. However, we have to fly … and I’m afraid of it, so the date of the trip is postponed all the time(

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 57

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

A.J.: 67

Alabama Jim: 51

markstevens: 18

thatchick1120: 18

Perrypridgen: 18

DAVID555: 18

amber_bowers: 17

Groucho: 16

Captn Sharpie: 15

Libacon: 14

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 576

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 24

Topics: 241

Newest Members:

PeterScrivener, Beleez, cougre, sue_1, pdbtoo, jpwarren24, sophiajenifer, Kimbeelea, Daniellangston53, turbov8

Moderators: Roccosamore: 114

Administrators: Kristopher: 178