latest member photos

Welcome to the RV White Water Retro Travel Trailer Enthusiast Forums!

A website dedicated to all things Riverside RV Retro, tips, tricks mods and more. We have many features on this website to make your experience here more enjoyable.

Join in and contribute your ideas and questions! FYI: You must register and login to post replies or start new topics.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
166 Tank Size Problem
No permission to create posts
April 26, 2017
12:55 pm
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello everyone!  My husband and I have wanted to buy a 176S.  I have since learned that my SUV can only tow 2500lbs.  I am interested in the 166, but the tank sizes are very small.  (fresh = 11, grey = 18, black = 5 gal).  We are novice campers.  Most of the camping we want to do is in Northern Michigan where most state parks do not have water hook-up.  How much of an inconvenience do you think it would be to camp, usually 2-4 night trips, with such small tanks.  We may have to go with a different manufacturer.  Thanks!  Joy

May 19, 2017
2:34 pm
Forum Posts: 1

Hi!  Firstly, you should check with other 166 owners on actual trailer weights with water/gear.  Our 155XL is about 2200lbs full (I believe), so you may be cutting it close with that tow weight capacity.

Aside from that, our trailer has the same tank caps, and we do okay for a 3-day weekend, being cautious of water usage in the toilet (there are some awesome tips about pooping in your RV if you Google it  🙂  It has actually allowed us to use less water into the black tank), and if you are not showering daily…which we don’t when we camp.  Things that also help are if the campground doesn’t have hookups but has decent restrooms, then you go in there as much as feasible during the day.  And gray water can usually be drained and used to water the plants around your site.

The black tank is the questionable one, but with some tips, tricks, and care, we’ve had two people use the toilet for 3 1/2 days before it was full enough that it needed dumping and couldn’t be used again.

Good luck!

July 1, 2017
2:43 pm
Forum Posts: 2

I bought a 155XL precisely because I wanted to use my Toyota Highlander Hybrid as a tow vehicle, which has a 2500 lb. tow capacity. The 155XL is I believe 1800 lbs. You can easily have  500lbs. of stuff in your trailer, so you need to watch that.

Yes, a 166 looks really big to me, but the 155XL works fine, as we like being outside, in fact we bought the 155XL to force the issue. Three days is no problem for us. We use the public facilities a lot except for early and late. We have done 5 days with no issues, and traveling we can dump as often as we need to.

If we are somewhere for three days, we also pitch a tent.

Anything bigger that the 155XL and I’d want another tow vehicle.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 57

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Roccosamore: 99

A.J.: 59

Alabama Jim: 43

DAVID555: 18

markstevens: 18

thatchick1120: 18

amber_bowers: 17

Groucho: 16

Captn Sharpie: 15

Perrypridgen: 14

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 468

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 24

Topics: 203

Newest Members:

Giffbo, higgdm, Tracy Bollin, bevwhite99, whatabearthinks, Adeleon39, timlorrieaton, Shandy07, Annasmith, Jeff and Ellen

Administrators: Kristopher: 174