latest member photos

Welcome To The Brand NEW Riverside RV White Water Retro Travel Trailer Enthusiast Forums!

A website dedicated to all things Riverside RV Retro, tips, tricks mods and more. We have many features on this website to make your experience here more enjoyable.

Join in and contribute your ideas and questions! FYI: You must register and login to post replies or start new topics.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Does the Retro 177SE need weight distribution and/or sway control
No permission to create posts
March 22, 2017
1:40 pm
Groucho
SoCal
Members
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Recently received a 2016 Riverside RV White Water Retro 177SE.  The connection is just a standard coupler.  I will be towing with a 2011 Toyota Sequoia Limited with tow package.

Have made one trip, which was picking up and bringing home, which showed no issues.

Does this setup need weight distribution and/or sway control?

March 28, 2017
8:30 pm
Roccosamore
Members
Forum Posts: 95

I have a 2015 177se and tow with a 1990 Suburban. First big trip of 5,000 miles my Retro had a tendency to want to wander above 60mph. Upon return I ordered a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. Problem solved and we still stay below 60, but passing is more stable. I guess you need to decide where you travel and how fast you need to go. Good luck.

April 4, 2017
8:52 pm
Groucho
SoCal
Members

Roccosamore said
I have a 2015 177se and tow with a 1990 Suburban. First big trip of 5,000 miles my Retro had a tendency to want to wander above 60mph. Upon return I ordered a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. Problem solved and we still stay below 60, but passing is more stable. I guess you need to decide where you travel and how fast you need to go. Good luck.  

Took the family on the shake down trip, travel time 1 hour.  In that hour, was passed by several big rigs and noticed quite a bit of movement when they passed.  Looks like I will be looking for Sway control.  Though the Sequoia handles the weight pretty well, since I will be looking at sway control might as well look at weight distribution as well.

April 4, 2017
9:26 pm
Roccosamore
Members

The weight distribution bars will increase your stability along with sway bar. Best way to go IMHO.

April 20, 2017
6:17 am
A.J.
Members
Forum Posts: 54

With regard to tractor trailers passing.  We were passed by many tractor trailers, cars, other rvers on our way home to CT from MI where we got our 181B.  I didn’t notice much, if any, sway.  I wanted to be set up with weight distribution and friction bars even though the dealer felt it may be more than needed.  Not having any experience with towing a travel trailer, I wanted to feel comfortable driving on the highway.  I was very pleased with the results of our hitch set up.  I did have some issues with getting my electric brakes properly dialed in but I started to get the hang of it as we headed home.  

April 20, 2017
5:26 pm
Roccosamore
Members

Towing is a very broad subject. What one dealer tells you is sometimes contingent on your particular area, ie: you live on the east coast but your travels take you to the west coast. During your journey you will pass through many different towing terrains. Desert winds, Rocky Mountain, ect. You get the picture. Why not be ready for anything. Nothing wrong with a good WD hitch, sway bar, even if it’s overkill. Just saying….IMHO.

April 21, 2017
3:13 am
A.J.
Members
Forum Posts: 54

I completely agree Rocco.  We live on the Connecticut coast but our travels will take us to the mountains of New Hampshire and New York State with hopes to travel West.  I want to be ready, and safe, for any of our travels.  I also want to enjoy the ride and not be frightened to hitch up the trailer and go.  While on our trip out to get our trailer, we saw a trailer being towed on I 90 in upstate New York.  The tow vehicle was a mid sized truck towing a trailer that just seemed too big (around 30 feet and older, so I assume rather heavy).  It just looked wrong if you know what I mean. It wasn’t really all over the road, but it didn’t look like a nice tow. 

April 22, 2017
12:20 pm
Groucho
SoCal
Members

Roccosamore said
Nothing wrong with a good WD hitch, sway bar, even if it’s overkill. Just saying….IMHO.  

This was my thought as well.  Mine comes in on Wed.  I will be allot happier towing after that.

April 23, 2017
12:38 pm
TwoTiredTeachers
Members
Forum Posts: 9

This will give you lots of information about hitches.  Before You Get Hitched

June 10, 2017
9:33 pm
Kevin OKeefe
Members
Forum Posts: 6

FYI I own a 177se i had a Blue Ox Sway control installed on the unit. Recently I towed from San Diego to Sacramento. Did not even know I had the unit behind me. At times I checked my speed while passing and  I was going in excess of 70/75  mph – I had to check my speed often because I had almost zero input from the unit – sway or otherwise – easy to hook up –

I tow with a Mercedes ML350 4matic.

July 22, 2017
12:57 pm
markstevens
Sugar Land, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 18

I tow with a Mercedes G Wagen without weight distribution but I do have a sway bar.  I have pulled the 177SE from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border and through the mountains in Colorado without a problem.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 57

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Roccosamore: 95

A.J.: 54

Alabama Jim: 31

DAVID555: 18

markstevens: 18

thatchick1120: 18

amber_bowers: 17

Groucho: 16

Captn Sharpie: 15

RubySue: 13

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 396

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 24

Topics: 174

Newest Members:

fhmaddux, bryanharvey, Lockhartart, thombre55, 14, jjy23, efranzen, dogsr4love, timetravel, lhc3840

Administrators: Kristopher: 157